Why we need to add comments using VBA
When we are automating any Excel task or preparing the Excel templates, it is better idea to provide enough information to the user. In some cases, the actual Cell or Range may not be sufficient to show the information, or you may want to show the additional information to the user or client (like instructions, help, or about the field, or you may want to to describe more about some data in a range or cell. Adding comments will be a good idea to provide such information, this will also help your worksheet looks more cleaner as comments will not appear until your user or customer hover on the cell or a range.
VBA Add Comments in an Excel Range – Syntax
You can use the below syntax or Macro Code to add or insert comments to a range in Excel using VBA.
Range(“YourRange”).AddCommnet “Your Text”
VBA to Add Comments in an Excel Range – Examples
Please look into the below examples will show adding comments in different situations while automating your tasks.
VBA to Add Comments in an Excel Range – Simple Example
The below example will show you how to add a comment at Range “A2” as ‘Hello, this is a comment text’:
Range("A2").AddComment "Hello, this is a comment text"
Here AddComment is method of an Excel Range to add the comments. And ‘A’ is the Column Name and ‘2’ is the Row number.
VBA to Add Comments in an Excel Range – Instructions
- Open an Excel Workbook from your start menu or type Excel in your run command
- Press Alt+F11 to Open VBA Editor or you can goto Developer Table from Excel Ribbon and click on the Visual Basic Command to launch the VBA Editor
- Insert a Module from Insert Menu of VBA
- Copy the above code for adding or inserting c comment into a range and Paste in the code window(VBA Editor)
- Save the file as Macro Enabled Workbook (i.e; .xlsm file format)
- Press ‘F5′ to run it or Keep Pressing ‘F8′ to debug the code line by line.
Now you can observe that a new comment is added at Range A2 as “Hello, this is a comment text”.
Real-time Applications on VBA AddComment to a Range Method